RSS Feed

Basting without kneeling

(c) 2014 by hs

(c) 2014 by hs

My Farmer’s Wife quilt has now two borders, an 1 inch grey polka dot, and a 4 inch white and light blue stripe. Since I moved in my flat in September, this is the first big quilt I wanted to baste. I used to do it on the floor, usually in our dining room which is tiled. I moved the table and chairs to the side and crawled on my knees for one or two hours.


(c) 2014 by hs

Now, I have a light-coloured laminate floor in all rooms—not fit for scratching needles. So I pondered over an alternative way of basting my quilt and came across this method on Pinterest:

(c) 2014 by hs

(c) 2014 by hs

I wrapped the backing fabric and the quilt top around two boards I bought in a hardware store.

(c) 2014 by hs

(c) 2014 by hs

Then I began to uncoil them on my dining room table, letting the batting float in between. I smoothed out any wrinkles while going and started pinning. When I was done with the section on the table, I pulled it to the side and let it hang off the table, then unrolling another section of top and back.

(c) 2014 by hs

(c) 2014 by hs

I admit that I had some doubts as to the exact direction of the three layers and any wrinkles since I was used to fix the top and the back on the floor with some tension. Moreover, it was somewhat exciting whether the backing and batting would be long enough or one of them would end before I had completely unrolled the top—but of course my measuring was correct and everything went well. I was done in no time—or so it seemed to me. And neither my back nor my knees ached the least bit!

I decided to quilt every one of the 110 squares individually, making the design up as I go. I am looking forward to “re-visiting” them all.

Easter preparations

The internet is a great source of inspiration for me, as is for anyone, of course. Yet, inspiration can be found anywhere. Nature—God’s gift to us—is beautiful and therefore ever inspirational. Especially now, with the short and dark days gone, shrubs bursting with new life, the air gentler than long and smelling like spring, I myself feel like I am waking up from an hibernation.

(c) 2014 by hs

(c) 2014 by hs

Visiting a local easter market, I found myself inspired to haul out my easter decorations and prepare my flat for the upcoming holidays. Every year, my mom buys me an easter egg, bearing the year date.

easter eggs

(c) 2014 by hs

To purfle eggs like this has a very long tradition. The ornaments are old, as is the technique. I know of two techniques coming to the same result. One is to dye the egg and then to scrape off the colour again with a very sharp knife. My eggs, however, are done the other way round: the ornaments are brought on in form of melted wax, then dyed in cold colour, and after that, the wax is melted away so that the eggshell is visible where the wax has been.

Every one of my sixteen eggs so far, has a little verse or saying which the 86 year old lady who makes these works of art writes in old German letters. Fortunately, my grandmother taught me to read these characters as a child. But the lovely old lady always reads the inscription out aloud for me when we buy the egg. They are not blown, by the way, but raw and heavy. One would think they would begin to smell but they do not, of course. They dry very, very slowly over the years until they get as light as a blown egg at last.

Lately, I saw a knitted egg cosy on the internet and tried my version of it. What a cute little easter present this will make.

(c) 2014 by hs

(c) 2014 by hs

Great Great Britain

I like Great Britain a lot, for many reasons. And since I am always inspired by British themed things, I long wanted to do some Brit blocks. Currently I am waiting to be able to finish my Farmer’s Wife quilt, and so I thought it would be a good idea to use up some scraps and start a not too big quilting project dedicated to the UK. I plan a block when the previous is finished, so no idea where I’ll end up.





More potholders



Since the holidays, I have been sewing little else but potholders. The six inch blocks all turned into potholders, plus I came across Amy’s blog again and her very beautiful tutorial for potholders, and decided to try it out.
The most difficult part of sewing these was the binding. It came around all twisted and bumpy – awful! Some days later, I ripped it off again and used some ready-made bias tape.
The most fun part, I think, is embellishing the front sides. I like the idea of not making exact twins but rather making up two matching designs. And it really is fun to rifle through my drawers and bring to light some long forgotten scraps of lace or beads.
Binding the potholders still is the most challenging part but anyway easier than making hand made bias tape.

Six inch blocks

I’m killing time by sewing 6″ blocks, two at a time. No plans in mind, deciding on the next pattern when the previous is done. It’s fun!






log cabin variation

Here is just a little something I sewed today. I’m not sure what to make of it. Maybe some potholders (fortunately I made two). It is a six inch block and a very simple but intgriguing variation of the log cabin design.

I’d like to wish you all a happy new 2014, or maybe it’s gonna be 2013s – as a friend said to me yesterday.


I have added a little How to for this block here.


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 137 other followers